Hydrotherapy or Aquatic Physiotherapy is a fantastic low impact form of exercise. Our Physiotherapists combine hand-on treatment with gentle exercise in the soothing warmth of a heated pool. We spend the duration of every session in the pool with you and aim to progress you through your program to become independent with your own sessions.
Hydrotherapy is a great option for anyone who has trouble exercising on land, is experiencing significant pain or is in early stages of post-operative rehabilitation.
What are the benefits of Hydrotherapy?
Hydrotherapy or Aquatic Physiotherapy promotes relaxation, provides pain relief, reduces muscle tension, increases joint mobility, improves balance and coordination and helps to increase fitness.
How does the water do all of this?
The warmth of the heated water increases circulation, relaxes muscle tension and soothes muscle and joint pain. The buoyancy of the water counters gravitational effects on the body allowing you to move with greater ease whilst providing support for increased balance. The gentle resistance of the water allows you to increase strength and endurance.
Who would benefit from Hydrotherapy?
Hydrotherapy or Aquatic Physiotherapy can be used in conjunction with other land based therapy or as a stepping stone to land or gym based rehabilitation. Just ask one of our helpful Physiotherapists what would be the best options for you.
Some of the conditions that could benefit from an individualised Aquatic Physiotherapy program are:
- Back pain, pelvic pain and sciatica.
- Balance and coordination issues.
- Shoulder, neck and/or arm pain.
- Arthritic pain – osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and osteoporosis.
- Post-surgical rehabilitation including joint replacements and reconstructions.
- Post-fracture rehabilitation particularly if there is limited weight bearing ability.
- Cerebral Palsy.
- Parkinson’s Disease.
- Multiple Sclerosis and other Neurological Conditions (See Paediatrics and Neurological Conditions).
We provide individual and group based Hydrotherapy sessions at a local Edmonton Pool. For further information, contact our office and one of our friendly team will assist with any enquires.